Tuesday, May 10, 2016

I moved a rock . . . and a project happened

One day I went into my backyard and decided to move a rock to a new spot.

In order to do that, I needed to move a whole row of rocks that had migrated into my neighbor’s yard.

In order to do that, I needed to find a new place for a stand of bamboo that I’d put in a temporary location.

In order to do that, I needed to remove several small trees and bushes that I no longer wanted.

In order to do that, I needed to transplant several large lilac bushes.

In order to do that, I needed to take the swing set apart and move it.

In order to do that, I needed to realign my sprinkler pipes and decided to reroute all the sprinklers in the whole backyard.

In order to do that, I needed to change the configuration of all the sprinklers in the front and side yards.

In order to do that, I needed to move a fence in the side yard to a new location.

In order to do that, I needed to set up a new pad to park my trailer on.

Then, with the yard completely dug up and trenched and piled, the spring monsoons hit and we had about a month of rain while all the holes and trenches filled with water.

When everything dried out, I set up the trailer pad, moved the fence, configured the front and side sprinklers, realigned the back sprinklers, rebuilt the swing set, transplanted the lilacs, removed the trees and bushes, replanted the bamboo, and moved the row of rocks.

Finally done, I stood on my deck and admired three months of hard work, and I noticed that the rock I first wanted to move . . . was still in its original location.


No comments:

Post a Comment